High blood pressure (also called hypertension) indicate that your heart is working too hard to pump blood to the rest of your body.
- Normal blood pressure is less than 120 on top and less than 80 on the bottom.
- Prehypertension levels are 120-139 on top and 80-89 on the bottom.
- High blood pressure, stage 1 is 140-159 on top and 90-99 on the bottom.
- High blood pressure, stage 2 is 160 or higher on top and 100 and over on the bottom.
- Low blood pressure, if below 90 over 60, most doctors consider blood pressure too low only if it causes symptoms.